As part of Sydney’s 2016 Innovation Week, drop by to see, hear and engage with ‘barefoot innovation’ outside the Law School on Eastern Avenue. Join Healthy Sydney University for ‘Healthy Minds’, a morning of mindfulness during Innovation Week. We will talk about and practise ways you can be more mindful and use this to succeed at university. In the afternoon, we will showcase student work, the university’s MOOC program and hear students practice their Student Innovation Challenge pitches.
- 10.00 – 10.10 am – ‘All it takes is 10 mindfulness minutes’ TEDx Talk
- 10.10 – 10.40 am – Introduction to mindfulness by Jane Cox, mindfulness practitioner and trainer.
- 10.40 – 10.45 am – ‘Ad break’: Mindfulness videos and apps
- 10.45 – 11.15 am – Mindfulness with music and mandalas with Carolina Cuenca-Cardozo from the Faculty of Agriculture & Environment who is also a musician and specialises in this area.
- 11.15 – 11.45 am – How can we be a more mindful university? Group work and discussion.
- 11:45 – 12:00pm – Lunch (provided by Healthy Sydney University)
- 12.00 – 1.00 pm – Susan Coulson and physiotherapy students show examples of their multimedia projects to increase awareness about the multifaceted roles undertaken by physiotherapists. Physiotherapists are integral members of multidisciplinary healthcare teams managing a broad range of disorders. These teams operate in face to face interactions and online environments. Undergraduate students at the University of Sydney performed an assessment task using student-generated multimedia to provide an appreciation of physiotherapy in the management of multisystem problems and to facilitate communication of theoretical, assessment, treatment and clinical reasoning concepts in a manner that could be easily understood by the majority of the educated lay public. A further purpose of this blended media assessment was to enable students to engage in producing a digital explanation which integrated different media forms as a new learning and presentation approach.
- 1 – 3 pm – excerpts from Sydney’s ‘massive open online courses’ (MOOCs) and live talks from the academics and experts involved in the eHealth and Chronic Disease Prevention courses
- 3 – 5 pm – Student Innovation Challenge pitch practice